“These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.” John 15:11
We who are Christians should be the happiest people on earth. When we accept Christ into our heart by faith, He then comes into us and brings peace and joy with Him. According to our text (John 15:11) we are to be full of His joy and that joy is to remain in us.
But just like David (Psalm 51:12) some of us as Christians have lost our joy.
We sometimes lose our joy by failing to count our blessings. (II Corinthians 9:8)
We also can lose that joy by allowing bad behavior (sin) in our lives. (Romans 6:12)
The third way to lose joy is by harboring bitterness in your heart because of something that was done to you in a hurtful way. (Hebrews 12:15)
We have the responsibility to maintain that joy level in our heart. Here are some ways to maintain the joy of Christ as a believer.
- By abiding in Christ (John 15:4)
- By bearing fruit (winning others to Christ) (John 15:8)
- By the fruits of the Spirit being in our life daily (Galatians 5:22)
- By obeying God’s commands (Psalm 19:8
- By prayer and answer to prayer in our life (John 16:24)
- By serving the Lord with passion (Psalm 100:2)
- By doing God’s will (Psalm 40:8)
Let’s apply these simple principles to our lives daily and allow the joy of Christ to be seen by others around us.