By Nancy Erickson Reilly
“WHERE DO YOU GET CONFIDENCE?”
Have you ever wondered how some people seem so confident and present themselves to others as someone who is very certain in everything they do or say? What enables an individual to behave with certainty in his or her life?
Confidence is defined as “the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; the state of feeling certain about the truth of something.”
For the Christian, we can be confident knowing that God’s strength is made perfect in our Weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9, “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” Suggested Scriptures to read are found in Philippians 4:13, 2 Timothy 1:7.
Our promise for confidence can be found in Proverbs 3:26, “For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.” The following are promises which we can rely upon each day.
- Jesus Loves Me. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Jesus Has a Plan for Me. Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Suggested Scriptures to read Genesis 50:20, Ephesians 2:10
- Jesus Is With Me. Joshua 1:9, “Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.”
- Jesus Will Not Fail or Forsake Me. Deuteronomy 31:6, “Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.”
- Jesus Is At Work in My Life. Philippians 2:13, “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” Jeremiah 32:27, “Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?”
- Jesus Loves When We Talk Through Prayer and Bible Reading. I Corinthians 1:9, “God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.” Hebrews 4:16, “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”
- Jesus Causes All Things to Work Together for My Good. Romans 8:28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”
- Jesus Is Conforming Me Into the Image of Himself. Romans 8:29, “For Whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”
- Jesus Answers My Prayers. I John 5:14, 15, “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.”
- Jesus Give Me Eternal Life. Philippians 1:6, “Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you, will perform it unto the day of Jesus Christ:”
- Jesus Is Coming Again. I Thessalonians 4:16-18, “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ, shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”
As a Christian we can walk through our journey with confidence knowing that our Savior is walking with us!